Recent Grads: Making a House a Home
For anyone who has recently graduated, your life might feel like it’s turning upside down when it’s time to make the transition into the real world. Your own apartment, a “grown up” job, time away from your family and friends – it can be quite the adjustment! We are going to tackle one of these new adventures now.
Moving into your own apartment or house may be overwhelming at first, but it’s also exciting! Here are some pointers to keep in mind when decorating a new place.
- Picking a theme for your pad is a great place to start. Whether you’re living alone or with a roommate, you need to come up with a theme that everyone is happy with. It will make your decorating decisions much easier about what goes together and what doesn’t. If you’re having a hard time with this, go neutral. It’s easy and you can’t get sick of colors like white, black, gray or tan.
- Seek the unique furniture and accessories that reflect your personality and go well with your general theme. If you’ve chosen more timeless furniture, unique accessories are a good way to spice the place up.
- Details are what really turns your house into a home. This includes pillows, candles, curtains, books and artwork. One striking piece of wall art can really tie the room together. If you are on a budget, get creative and make your own decor.
- Bring nature indoors. Whether you have a small plant in your kitchen, or a big fern in your living room, it adds life and color to a room. Adding in bits of nature to your space can even make the air smell better!
- Lighting can also help with the presentation of your home. Choose lights that will add a soft glow, and with this will come a cozy and secure feeling right when you enter, especially in the bedroom.
- Lastly, in order to truly break in your space, create memories there. You can do this in many different ways – throwing a housewarming party or cooking your favorite meal for your loved one. Make these memories and continue them as rituals and that’s the true trick to turning your space into your own!